“The Jetboil system has made meal preparation vastly simpler and much faster. Home prepared ingredients are far less expensive than packaged meals, and with Jetboil, much easier. I use two PCS's and one FluxRing pot for virtually all meal preparations. A favorite pasta entree is my wilderness adaptation of carbonara, a traditional Italian pasta dish made at home with bacon, garlic, and raw eggs blended into hot pasta. The wilderness version uses reconstituted powdered eggs, bacon fried at home a week or two before the trip, and chopped garlic.” - Courtesy of Dr. John Corbin
Wilderness Carbonara Ingredients
- ¼ cup fried bacon - brought from home pre-cooked and drained, but cooked on site adds pleasant aroma to the camp; not a good idea in bear country
- Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped garlic or several cloves (to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons powdered egg mix stirred in 4 Tablespoons cold water
- 100g spaghetti (broken in half with salt in Ziploc bag)
Wilderness Carbonara Recipe Instructions
- Bring two cups of water to a boil. Place spaghetti in and cook for 8 minutes.
- Heat the bacon in 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the Jetboil FluxRing 1.5 liter Pot or Jetboil Frypan. Stir in garlic and onions and lightly brown.
- Drain pasta and stir hot pasta into the bacon/garlic mixture.
- Finally stir in egg mixture and continue heating at very low heat for a few seconds while egg mixture thickens.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Grated Parmesan is a nice addition.
- Total cooking time in one of our ultralight camping stoves is 12 minutes